You would not be incorrect to think that the beauty industry is constantly revealing a new must-have product to add to your routine, but that said, using the best face mist for you will actually serve you well.
At a Glance
“Apart from feeling refreshed, face mists formulated with the right ingredients can be beneficial for the skin,” says New York City–based board-certified dermatologist Dr. Michelle Henry, citing hyaluronic acid, rose water, aloe vera, and green tea extract as the nourishing ingredients to look out for. “By delivering these humectant ingredients straight to the skin, face mists can promote moisture retention and help the skin barrier reduce trans epidermal water loss.”
That said, these convenient spritzers boast benefits in skin care and makeup. A good face mist, according to Henry, can transform dry, dull skin into a radiant, glowing complexion, aid moisture retention, maintain the skin barrier, and provide a brightening effect. For this, celebrity esthetician to the stars Shani Darden shares this application tip: “You can use a facial mist in the morning after cleansing before applying your vitamin C serum and sunscreen, during the day anytime you need a refresh, and at night after cleansing before applying treatment products.” Whereas for makeup wear, pro makeup artist Naoko Scintu, who counts Kate Hudson, Florence Pugh, and Maude Apatow as clients, says a mist can add a first layer of hydration or a weightless dewiness to your look.
Can all skin types benefit from a facial mist? All of our experts say yes; just take a peek at the ingredients to determine which might be suitable for your skin. Whether you’re looking to hydrate, soothe, or protect the skin, read on to discover our edit of the best face mists to shop now.
For Makeup Application: Chanel Hydra Beauty Essence Mist
- Why We Love It: When celebrity makeup artist Carolina Dalí-Trites gave us the inside scoop on how to make your foundation look like second skin, she advised us to “mist your foundation brush or sponge with a hydrating face mist” to boost moisture and blendability. For this, Chanel’s mist is just the ticket.
- Skin Benefits: Through a blend of camellia alba, blue ginger, hyaluronic acid, and vitamins C and E, this antioxidant-rich mist delivers not only a refreshingly cool sensation, but ensures your skin is protected and quenched.
For Mature Skin: iS Clinical Copper Firming Mist
- Why We Love It: Per Darden, iS Clinical’s mist “is a great antioxidant mist featuring copper and resveratrol to firm and hydrate the skin, helping to offset premature aging.” Actor Emmy Rossum (also a client of Darden’s) is a fan of the formula too, spritzing herself with it in her 28-step beauty regimen. “I like it anytime you just feel like you need to reset,” she says.
- Skin Benefits: Through the ingredients the master esthetician mentioned coupled with botanically-sourced PCA and kola nut, this mist promises antioxidant protection to combat signs of aging—boosting skin’s firmness and elasticity.
For Glowing Skin: Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist
- Why We Love It: From its Dewy Skin Cream to its plumping serum, it is clear Tatcha knows a thing or two about glowing skin—an approach bolstered by this coveted mist that has captured the attention of editors, celebrities, and makeup artists alike.
- Skin Benefits: The mist promises to leave your face feeling “soft, dewy, and refreshed” through a blend of 20% botanical oils and humectants, Okinawa red algae, and hyaluronic acid. That said, it’s especially effective for dry skin types. “If you have very dry skin use an oil in water facial mist for added nourishment,” Scintu notes.
For Free Radical Protection: Ilia Blue Light Protect + Set Mist
- Why We Love It: “By neutralizing the harmful free radicals on the skin, this Ilia face has antioxidant properties,” says Henry, of the ultra-fine mist powered by marine actives, mastic, and tara extract.
- Skin Benefits: She continues that, “it is a great face mist option for those wanting to protect their skin from air pollution, while also craving that rejuvenated finish.” Not to mention, it also works well as a setting spray.
For Sensitive Skin: Avène Thermal Spring Water
- Why We Love It: If you were to take a dip in the Sainte-Odile Spring in the south of France, you may experience the relieving powers of this thermal spring water. Now, you can bask in its restorative properties right at home with this Avène mist.
- Skin Benefits: Boasting mineral and biological properties rich in postbiotic microflora, the ultra-fine mist promises to soothe, soften, and calm skin without irritation. In fact, the mist is composed of just two ingredients: thermal spring water and nitrogen.
For Acne-Prone Skin: Eir NYC Hydrating Face Mist
- Why We Love It: “Eir NYC Hydrating Face Mist which works great on oily and acne-prone skin types,” says Henry.
- Skin Benefits: “Formulated with tannins found in witch hazel, this product minimizes skin inflammation, removes excess skin oiliness and reduces the appearance of pores,” she explains of one of her top picks composed of just five ingredients.
For Poreless Skin: Caudalie Beauty Elixir Prep, Set, Glow Face Mist
- Why We Love It: Caudalie’s formula is an O.G. face mist for a great reason: it has long delivered that desired skin refresh.
- Skin Benefits: Infused with a cocktail of essential oils (mint, lemon balm, rosemary, and rose) alongside grape extract and orange flower water, this is the ultimate skin prep to tighten the look of pores—making it especially useful before makeup.
For Multipurpose Benefits: Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence
- Why We Love It: Do yourself a favor and add Tata Harper’s essence to cart. Led by hyaluronic acid in conjunction with rose, lavender, neroli hydrosols and a floral blend, this works overtime to enhance an array of skin concerns.
- Skin Benefits: Suitable under or over makeup, this potion addresses hydration, skin texture, and the look of wrinkles all while improving the absorption of skin treatments following its application.
For Irritated Skin: Tower 28 Beauty SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray
- Why We Love It: Earlier this year, Tower 28’s hypochlorous acid spray took over TikTok and we just had to try it. Let’s just say it didn’t disappoint.
- Skin Benefits: Brand founder Amy Liu originally formulated it to calm inflammation, eczema, though it’s now loved to pacify redness, acne, rosacea, and even sunburn. There’s a similarly formulated serum too, which has also earned one Vogue editor’s stamp of approval.
For Purified Skin: Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist
- Why We Love It: What mist does Scintu count as a personal and makeup kit favorite? Enter: this Omorovicza formula that she says smells amazing and delivers lasting hydration.
- Skin Benefits: She considers this the “all-around perfect mist for ‘just cleansed’ skin or for use during the day for a quick pick me up over makeup.” Enriched with orange blossom, rose and sage waters, apple pectin, and the brand’s healing concentrate, this elixir promises to purify the skin.
For Daily Use: Payot Brume Eclat Refreshing Radiance Mist
- Why We Love It: Payot’s formula has become this writer’s favorite mist to quickly wake up tired skin.
- Skin Benefits: Powered by superfruit extracts and hyaluronic acid sans alcohol, the mist delivers lightweight moisture and protection from pollution to feel energized for the day—or night—ahead.